Monday, January 23, 2012

Teaching in Thailand-a whole blog devoted to teaching, that's why I am here right?

Last week I was told the day before my departure that I need to go to Penang, Malaysia. My visa/work permit has been a bit of a hassle these past few weeks. After a few four hour mini-bus rides, a few trips via motorbike taxi to the consulate, and a bit of stress my visa is sorted until mid-April!

The stress of a visa is the downside to working abroad. I was sad to leave my students for those three days in the care of substitute teachers. The topic that week was the world and I missed teaching it! The only upside was getting to shop for $150 USD worth of children’s books for my school in Penang. I bought so many books I could barely carry them back. It’s quite fun to spend other people’s money and I love children’s books. I sat in the shop for hours!

Speaking of work. I haven’t blogged much about my job. In today’s meeting we had quite a heated debate on holding students back in their year. I think even if you know nothing about teaching this debate shows a lot about the Thai culture. 

I teach on of three K1 classes along with two other amazing teachers, Amy and Jane. A few students in each of our classes were allowed to start when they were too young for the grade. A few months ago we were asked which of those young students we think should repeat the grade next year. This question was a bit difficult for me to answer and I struggled with it for a few days, thinking about each of those three students in all aspects of school. I was a bit frustrated that I could only consider the three youngest students because there are a few others that could benefit from a repeated year equally or even more than these three. I decided all three of my students would be better off repeating the year. If they repeat they will be at the top of their class instead of the bottom for the next year and the rest of their years. Amy and Jane each decided they should only hold back one of three of their youngest students. Then today, months later, we were told we have two choices; either hold back all of these nine kids back or none of them. 

You see, in Thailand and many Asian countries “loosing face” is a big deal. “Loosing face” is a term used for any embarrassment or social conflict.  It’s not in the culture to yell, confront someone, or call someone out. Holding some of the young children back and not others would cause the parents to loose face.  This is also why holding of age students back is not an option for me. Also in Thailand it’s literally impossible for a student to fail. If a student is failing, no matter what the age, the teacher has to give them more work and extra tests to make sure they pass.

All the foreign teachers are not used to this at all. We are used to students failing and being held back in school if it’s in their best interest. We also have not grown up in a culture where loosing face is a concept. Maybe we can’t fully understand. It’s hard for us to comprehend the fact that four kids have to suffer for the benefit of five or vice versa. This is a decision that should really be considered on based on the individual’s development, not an all or nothing based on age.  We realize that we are in a foreign country so we shouldn’t push the limits and upset the parents and teachers. It’s also quite difficult because this school is run as a business and they do not want to upset their customers, the parents.  

We are still debating this topic. It’s quite hard because we know it won’t hurt the students as much if we hold them all back. Except for the kids that may be bored and disrupt the class. Holding none of them back would make the parents very happy. Holding all them back may teach the school a lesson not to allow young students in. We may find a way to convince them out of their all or nothing policy. Who knows? I hope I didn’t bore the non-teachers or upset anyone at the school. A debate like this is bound to happen when two very different cultures are working together and I hope we find a middle ground. Hopefully the middle ground has the students' best interests in mind. 

Ok on a more fun note. I love my job. My students are adorable. I enjoy all the topics I teach. I enjoy talking to my students in their simple English. I enjoy playing games and singing (in my horrible voice) with them. I smile when I see them interacting, unless they are punching each other. Each of my students has their own adorable personality. When I think about flying back home and possibly never seeing them again makes me want to cry. Yes of course, sometimes I want to pull my hair out, like this afternoon when my students were hyper because it’s Chinese New Year. Mostly this job shows me teaching is the job I am meant to do.

I teach at a kindergarten. Also known as preschool. This preschool is unlike any preschool in America. The students attend from 8am to 3pm. Ten of my students stay until 5pm for an after school class. These students are expected to sit down, listen to the teacher, and complete worksheets ALL DAY. They only get ten minutes of outside playtime if I walk them out to the playground before lunch. The Thai teachers get to eat their lunch sooner if the kids don’t play so they prefer no play. This is literally the only playtime these students get. Its no wonder they are hyper in the afternoons. I work in as much activity in my lessons but  so much expected of these students. They have certain workbook pages they need to complete each week and so much material to learn by the end of the year. If I even miss one lesson due to some sports day or holiday activity I feel like we are behind on teaching and worksheets.

Schooling in the preschool is taken very seriously. And it works for the most part. These students are amazing. Forcing them to sit and write and learn all day really works. They can do way more in terms of writing and counting than most four year olds in preschools in America. I do wish they had more time to play though. Play is so important for development of coordination, social skills and imagination.

Andrew’s mom Mary Lou visited my class while she was here and was very impressed. What I remember most were her comments about our staff meeting. Today’s holding back debate was the most controversial meeting yet. Usually we chat about certain dates and life and leave. She used to be a kindergarten teacher in California and she said her meetings used to be that relaxed when she started teaching in the 1970s. But before she retired three years ago her meetings were about this assessment and that test and this budget. It’s really nice to teach in the environment I am in.

I feel like I painted a bad picture of the Thai teachers. I spilt the day teaching with Kreu (teacher) Nate. I feel lucky to work with her. Teacher Nate is 39 years old and she looks younger than I do, she is beautiful. She is an amazing teacher and very experienced. I wish I could understand everything she says because I could learn so much more from her. It’s only in the past two years that the ten minutes of playtime was added to the schedule so it’s not her norm to bring them to the playground. She never complains or objects when I insist they play.

The “loosing face” aspect of the culture makes Thailand such a great place to be. While I was in Penang, Malaysia I was literally yelled at by a man (not Malay). I have not been yelled at in months. I was yelled at for not knowing the address of my school that is usually written in a language I cannot read! I was really bothered by this interaction but it further opened my eyes to the beauty of the Thai culture.

I hope you enjoyed my school related post and learned something about schools in Thailand. If you are interested in teaching in Thailand, now is the time to apply for jobs. Schools are recruiting for jobs starting April or May and go until next March or April. I can offer any advice if this is what you desire. Yes it’s not all fine and dandy all the time but is life anywhere? For the most part this job is awesome. I enjoy it because it’s low stress and a job I’ve always wanted to do! It’s in a country that never seizes to amaze me with its beauty and culture. Everyday I see something or learn something new! I’m not saying Thailand is glamorous. In fact the Thailand I know is not at all glamorous. I have a new favorite saying, I made it up while Mary Lou was here pointing out all the little differences we have come accustom to. Thailand is not glamorous but it sure is beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment